Windows XP SP3 and Windows Vista SP1 include a change to the handling of database records that include information from more than one table. For example, a supplier record in Microsoft Dynamics RMS includes information from both the Supplier and Item tables.
In more technical terms, Identity field values are not reflected in record sets after installation of the service pack. This may cause data loss in Microsoft Dynamics RMS databases that may not be apparent to the user.
These are some of the issues we are currently aware of that you may experience in Microsoft Dynamics RMS after you install Windows XP SP3 or Windows Vista SP1:
- Inability to process Headquarters worksheets
- Inability to create a supplier with associated items
- Inability to create associations with Matrix, Lot Matrix, and Assembly items
- Inability to add a quantity discount to an item
- Application crash when you try to create Lot Matrix items
- Application crash when you try to create a customer who has one or more shipping addresses
All Microsoft Dynamics RMS users who have installed Windows XP SP3 or Windows Vista SP1 will be affected.
Note While this issue extends to Windows Server 2008, that is not a supported operating system for Microsoft Dynamics RMS.
Supported Windows Vista and Windows XP updates are now available from Microsoft that will prevent these issues from occurring.
For more information about these updates and how to download them, visit the following Microsoft Web site:
- Applying this update will not fix any data damage that has occurred before applying the update
- If you use Windows XP you must have Windows XP SP2 or Windows XP SP3 installed on the computer before you apply the update.
- The Windows XP update information is located toward the bottom of the Knowledge Base article.
- If you use Windows Vista you must have Windows Vista SP1 installed on the computer before you apply the update.