- Changing the valuation method carries legal restrictions in some areas. If this is not a new installation, contact your tax adviser before you change inventory valuation methods.
- If you use Manufacturing in Microsoft Dynamics GP, you must follow the steps that are described in Microsoft Knowledge Base article 940837. For more information, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
940837 How to change the perpetual valuation method and the periodic valuation method when Manufacturing in Microsoft Dynamics GP is installed?
Requirements to change the valuation method for an item
- The item should not be included in any saved transaction in the following modules:
- Inventory Control
- Purchase Order Processing
- Sales Order Processing
- The items should only have the Sales Inventory type or the Discontinued type. To determine the item type, open the Item Maintenance window. To do this, on the Cards menu, point to Inventory, and then click Item.
- The item cannot be included in a stock count.
To change the valuation method, follow these steps.
Note Before you follow the instructions in this article, make sure that you have a complete backup copy of the database that you can restore if a problem occurs.
- Make sure that all users exit Microsoft Dynamics GP and Microsoft Business Solutions - Great Plains 8.0.
- Use the appropriate method to open the Change Valuation Method window:
- If you use Microsoft Dynamics GP 2010 or Microsoft Dynamics GP 10.0, on the Microsoft Dynamics GP menu, point to Tools, point to Utilities, point to Inventory, and then click Change Valuation.
- If you use Microsoft Dynamics GP 9.0, on the Tools menu, point to Utilities, point to Inventory , and then click Change Valuation.
- In the Change Valuation Method drop-down list, click the valuation method that you want to use for the item.
- In the Item Number area, enter the item number in the From and To fields.
- Click Process.
- In the Report Destination window, click a destination in the Destination area, and then click OK.
After you do this, a Valuation Method Change Audit List report is printed. This report lists the item, the item description, the old valuation method, and the new valuation method.
- Inventory Control, when used with:
- Microsoft Dynamics GP 10.0
- Microsoft Dynamics GP 9.0
- Microsoft Dynamics GP 2010